How does LCL shipping works or the LCL shipment procedure:
After deciding on opting for LCL shipping, you must provide the dimensions and weight of your cargo that is being shipped to the freight forwarder along with the documents that are required for shipping. After having all the dimensions and the documents ready for LCL shipping, you must get the products that you need to get shipped ready or ask your freight forwarder to get them ready. This is because the groupage shipments are shipped at a fixed time and schedule and the products are packed in a warehouse.
For hassle-free shipment of your products or cargos are to be present at the warehouse at the time of loading of the shipment. Once the shipment is packed and loaded, the cargos are at standby at the port stated on the contract/booking. The cargos when once reach the arrival port are shipped to the destination port.
If you’re shipping your products to a secondary port, the LCL cargo may be offloaded at a transshipment point from where the cargo will be shipped to another cargo or wait for the cargo to fill the container before continuing to its destination port. After the cargo reaches the destination port, the LCL container is taken to the destination takes the cargo or shipment to the warehouse which is called the destination deconsolidation warehouse. Lastly, after you are informed that your cargo has reached its destination warehouse, you can either get it delivered to the destination from an agent or you can go pick up the cargo or shipment yourself.
What are the LCL shipping charges?
When you opt for LCL shipping for your shipment, you must know that the shipment being a groupage shipment consists of multiple stages and with every stage, an amount of fair is added to the overall LCL shipping cost. The actual cost of the LCL shipping is indeed less than the cost of the individual shipment charges.
should know that the LCL shipping charges are usually generated via technology which is based on the dimensions of your package that is being shipped. The standard unit for LCL shipping charges is USD per CBM (Cubic Meters).
Please note: If the cargo package exceeded 1 ton i.e., 1000kg then the shipment costs are levied based on the weight of the cargo.
The charges of LCL shipping are divided according to the stages mentioned below:
- Main Leg
How to calculate LCL shipping?
Now, we come to the part where we need to understand how to calculate the LCL shipping package which is calculating the CBM of LCL shipment; you must pack your cargo and measure the length, breadth, and height of the box and multiply them all.
For example: 3 meters long X 3 meters wide X 4 meters high= 36 CBM
When do you choose LCL shipping?
If you’re still wondering on what occasion or situation you should choose or opt for the LCL shipping then let’s look at the following cases:
- If the package you’re exporting or importing is a small consignment, LCL shipping is the option for you.
- If you have a last-minute shipment to be done, LCL shipping is hassle-free and you can easily find a spot in the cargo to fit in your shipment product.
- If you can wait for your order and have booked the shipment prior, LCL shipping is the best option as it is comparatively cheaper than individual shipping.
- If you can split your shipment into FCL and LCL then you can not only save extra bucks but the products would reach you in time.
Some benefits and drawbacks of LCL shipping:
Benefits of LCL Shipping:
LCL shipping is usually beneficial for shipment of the cargo. But let’s take a deeper look:
- Pay only for the volume needed.
- LCL shipping helps in shipping fewer goods which is equivalent to spending less money on shipment.
- If it’s the peak season, LCL shipping is the best available option as it is easier to find and faster to reach.
- Cheaper than air freight.
Since we mentioned that LCL shipping is beneficial for you, there are few drawbacks that we thought you should be aware of when it comes to LCL shipping.
Drawbacks of LCL Shipping:
- The cargos need to be loaded and unloaded from containers.
- LCL shipments are expensive per cubic meter than FCL.
- Since it’s a groupage shipment, other shipment’s custom delays can delay your goods as well.
- There are chances of damage. Slightly but it is there.
Why choose Boxnbiz for LCL shipping?
If you’re looking for a freight forwarder for your LCL shipment then Boxnbiz is here to help and ease your problem as our team of experts are reliable and transparent with their communication and explains the entire procedure as it is. Our charges are minimal and the services we provide are top class as we make sure that our customers are satisfied. With the best technology used at Boxnbix, you can track your LCL shipment as well.